1. Start where you are and grow. – Be faithful with little and grow this discipline! Don’t beat yourself up.
2. If you have physical infirmity, ask your doctor.
3. Drink a lot of water – Drink at least 75 ounces of water a day. If you are doing a juice fast set an amount of juice you can drink and have juice for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a bedtime snack. (This keeps you from drowning your hunger with gallons of juice! Drink water between “meals.”)
4. Set beginning and ending times and stick to them. – The enemy will try to defeat you in the middle of the fast. Stay faithful and you will experience God’s work.
5. Have prayer targets. – Make a prayer list and keep it.
6. Keep a journal. – Process and pray with Jesus by writing!
7. Be accountable. – Talk to your LifeGroup leader or someone you are fasting with.
8. Replace meals or media times with prayer and the word. – Have a plan for prayer. (i.e. pray during meal times or when you usually would be using media). Have a plan for the Bible. (i.e. read John or Matthew)
9. Walk by faith, not feelings. – There will be times where you will feel like this is worthless and nothing is happening. Focus on obeying God and drawing near to Him. There will be times when you will feel physically bad. (headaches, hunger) Determine ahead of time that you will let these times lead you to desperation for God. They will eventually pass.
10. Get more rest. – You may need more rest. But don’t be slothful in spiritual disciplines or work. Much of the battle will be mental. Let this make you desperate and cry out to God.
11. Worship, sing, pray throughout the day. – Revel in God. Abide in Christ. John 15.
12. Use wisdom when breaking the fast. – Soup, juice and crackers, non-greasy. Don’t binge on anything.
Remember, without faith it is impossible to please God. We aren’t going on a hunger strike; we are positioning ourselves before the Lord to intentionally seek Him, His will, and His grace.
Please consider changing your schedule to pray together. There is a great guide to fasting that you can download at this site: http://www.calvaryaurora.org/media/fasting-tips.pdf